Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In Madudula

The tent
This morning we headed to Madudula, which we formerly called the 'tent' site because in 2007 we set up a large circus tent in an open field and that tent served as clinic, distribution center, church, and community meeting place for over 2 years.  The tent is gone now (in fact, I saw it folded up in the back of the church in Matsapha, see the photo).  But just a stone's throw from where the tent stood there now stands a fully build clinic that is serving as a temporary meeting area while the rest of the construction project goes forward.

I got to see the pump house where the water from the well is pumped.  I assisted the water guru Chris Serik a.k.a. "Themba Manzini" in attaching a proper set of filters to the pipe and we drank the water from the tap.  It is an important step because we cannot charter a school  unless there is a clean water source on site.

Posing with Archie
I also had a chance to observe how far the construction has progressed on the classrooms.  Two are nearly completed.  The others had significant block work done while we were there.  Much to my delight I had a chance to catch up with Archie Ngwenya.  He was the second person I met in Swaziland and owns the business that manufactures the block for our construction.  I visited his block works in 2008 and had a chance to make a block myself.  The block I made is probably in one of the buildings behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment