Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Preparations

Spent the morning diddling and fiddling because it was raining and I didn't want to drive.  As the skies cleared I decided to get to work on preparations for my trip.

Stop 1 was REI to pick up three BPA-free Nalgene bottles.  I had one that had been on five mission trips on three continents, but I left it unattended in 2008 for a few minutes, and it disappeared into the high veldt.  I bought its replacement plus a bottle each for Pastor Van and his brother-in-law Chuck.  I also looked for a fleece bag and a cheap backpack but the fleece bags were too small and the backpacks too pricey.  Last item was a survival radio.  The kind that operates on solar or by cranking it and has AM/FM, weather band, and a built-in flashlight.  Sticker shock made me put off the purchase but I suspect I'll be back by the end of the week.

Stop 2 was Target, to comparison shop for a fleece bag, backpack, and survival radio.  They had no fleece bags and no survival radios, but I did find an inexpensive backpack that had the elastic side pouches for my water bottle.  $8.99 and sold!  While at Target I surprised myself and bought some new cargo shorts, which I really needed.  I think it's been 2 years since I've purchased new summer clothing and it's starting to show.

Stop 3 was Office Depot where I bought nothing but decided that what I really wanted was some cheap pens and a small spiral pad, just one.  Years ago I learned from Rick Buddemeier, a friend and missionary-mentor to me, to always have a pad and pen handy to write down names and contact information of people you meet.  I've done it on every trip since and it's always proven to be sound advice.

Stop 4 was Pathmark to purchase a rotisserie chicken for tonight's potluck and prayer meeting.  Fail!  They were sold out.  I bought some ribs instead for my lunch and will go back after finishing this post and claim one of the birds that was in the rotisserie cooking.  Bought my notepad and some blue ballpoint pens.

Home now and writing this up, seems more boring than I expected but will post anyway and then head back to the Pathmark for my chicken and then on to the potluck/prayer meeting.

More preparations and perhaps a more interesting post tomorrow.  Meanwhile, you can check out Mary/Sihle's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment