Pages

Friday, July 22, 2016

And now ... the long layover

So here are some pictures of the King Mswati III international airport that I described in a previous post.  As you can see, the plane that I flew in from Sikhuphe, Swaziland to Johannesburg, South Africa is a small one.  It seats about 30 people.  The cabin has three people in each row, two window seats, one aisle seat, and an aisle running between.  I sat on the side that has only one seat. 

When I chose my flight, I took into consideration the possibility of delay and my anticipated need to pick up my baggage in Joburg and clear customs before continuing on my flight.  It turns out I didn't need to take that into consideration.  My baggage was checked clear through to New York City.  All I need to do is walk myself through the terminal. 

My flight from Swaziland will arrive around 12:30 and my flight to New York will not leave until about 8:30 pm tonight so I will be re-creating a day in the life of Tom Hanks in the movie "The Terminal."  But I have books to read, I will have internet access, and the international terminal in Joburg boasts some really nice places to eat, so please pray that I use the time well.

Also, if you are my facebook friend, feel free to call me via messenger.  I won't mind hearing from home. 

-Michael

Addendum:  after we had boarded at the gate, some very well dressed VIP's boarded.  Two of them were arrayed in traditional Swazi dress.  One of them strongly resembled the King's daughter who was featured in the documentary "Without the King."  I couldn't be certain because she's older now but I'm pretty sure.  When caught her eye, she seemed to acknowledge my recogniition, after the fashion of someone who is used to being recognized. I probably won't ever know for sure.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment