Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Making a crawl for the border

I was told it would take a while.

The border into Mozambique is not crowded.  There was no one in front of me and there is no line behind me.  Nevertheless it is a 15 minute wait for someone to come to even begin considering issuing me a visa.

A few friendly border guards greet me in English.  They ask me where I am going.  I know that getting in as a "missionary" or as an emissary for an organization is difficult, but that's OK because my mission trip is over. Now I am just a "tourist."

I get called into the office of the chief of the post.   I put on my best "aw shucks I'm just here for the beaches" expression. It makes no difference.  He questions me about why I have come to Mozambique, where I am going, what I plan to do.  I am starting to be suspicious of myself.

Dissatisfied with my answers,  he calls Mancoba in. Mancoba answers the questions the same as I did.  Then he sends us out of his office and places a call.  Mancoba this maybe he's calling the embassy.  Perhaps they'll acknowledge my secret work for the CIA but I doubt it.

Finally he seems satisfied.  The tone becomes more friendly.  He give me a form to fill out, and I asked for a pen. He told me someone had taken his pen, but borrowed one from a subordinate.  I breathed a sigh of relief that there was not additional scrutiny regarding my worthiness to borrow a pen.  I was prepared to give him my shoe for collateral.

Finally, form filled out and checked, photo taken, fingerprints of both index fingers acquired, fee paid, and pen returned, I was permitted into Mozambique.  I expect a bouncer with a velvet rope line, but all I got was a soldier with rusty pike gate.

Time elapsed 55 minutes.

Welcome to Mozambique.

No comments:

Post a Comment